Charter Foundation to Medicine Program
Financial Aid Quicksheet - US Citizens / Permanent Residents
Below is a "Quicksheet" outlining your financial aid requirements for the upcoming term.
You may use this as a quick point of reference when completing your financial aid requirements.
For additional, more detailed information, please visit the Charter Foundation to Medicine page.
August 2020 Charter Foundation to Medicine - Financial Aid Information
US Citizens / Permanent Residents
Applying for a Sallie Mae Smart Option Loan
- Visit Sallie Mae and choose "Undergraduate Student Loans" from the options provided
- Choose "Apply for this Loan" to begin your Smart Option Student Loan application
- Complete the "Basic Information" section and choose your school
- St. George's University, School of Medicine will be listed under the "Outside the US" option
- Complete the "School Information" as follows:
- School: St. George's University, School of Medicine, 02233300
- Degree/Certificate of Study: Certificate
- Major: Medicine
- Enrollment Status: Full Time
- Grade level: Certificate/Continuing Ed.
- Academic Period of Loan: August 2020 - December 2020
- Anticipated graduation/completion: December 2020
- Complete the "Loan Amount" section using the information from your estimated cost of attendance
- Follow the instructions to complete the rest of your application and submit
Sallie Mae: Things to Consider
- Sallie Mae is the only outside lender available that is providing private education loans to SGU
- Private loans may have variable or fixed interest rates and interest rates as well as overall loan approval will be based on your credit and the criteria of the lender
- Request a copy of your credit report online at annualcreditreport.com and reconcile any problems prior to matriculation
- If a student cannot obtain a loan because of a negative credit rating, school funds cannot be awarded to replace the loan
- In many situations a co-signer will be required to obtain the loan
- Sallie Mae has various repayment options:
- Interest Repayment Option: Full interest payment while in school and during grace period
- Fixed Repayment Option: $25 monthly payment while in school and during grace period
- Deferred Repayment Option: No payment is required while in school or during grace period
- There are no prepayment penalties under any of these repayment plans; making payments whenever possible is encouraged to minimize total overall debt
Applying for an SGU Institutional Loan
Please contact your Financial Aid Counselor: (Counselor breakdown by last name)
(A-L) Lorraine Leary 631-665-8500 x1227
(M-Z) Dan Bod 631-665-8500 x1528
August 2020 Budget*
* Rates effective as of May 2020. Subject to change.