Loan Deferments


You are eligible for deferment of loans that you borrowed at institutions you attended prior to your matriculation at St. George's University. Once you are matriculated at least half-time in an eligible program of study, you will be automatically reported as such by our Registrar to your federal loan servicers.  Incoming students should be advised however, that initial reporting of in-school status will not be submitted until after your first term begins.  Please continue to make any payments due or speak with your loan servicer about other deferment or forbearance options until your loans are officially reported with an in-school status.

**If you have any federal Perkins loans or private education loans, you should access the website of the servicer of the loan(s) you wish to defer, and download an In-School Deferment Form to submit to our Registrar's office for processing at

Perkins loans may be serviced by the school that awarded you the funds or by a servicer contracted by the school. Deferment is usually required each semester, or twice each year. It is your responsibility to provide the necessary deferment form at the correct intervals. Check with your school or servicer to determine when the deferment request is due.

During the deferment period, the federal government will pay the interest on any federal Subsidized loans you may have borrowed as long as you are enrolled at least half-time. If you have any question regarding your enrollment, please contact a Financial Aid Counselor to verify your status.

If you drop to below half-time status, St. George's University will report a less than half-time status to the Department of Education, and you will not be eligible for financial aid or deferment until you resume at least half-time status. Loan exit counseling is required for all students falling below half-time status. You may apply for forbearance of your student loans during any period when you are less than half-time.

Visit the Federal Student Aid Website to view information about all of the federal student loans you have received and to find contact information for the loan servicer or lender for your loans.

You may access your account at most servicers' websites. It is the easiest way to check your status regarding your loan balance and deferment status. You may update any name or address changes there, as well.

The following are loan servicers for federally held loans made through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program and the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program.

If you need help determining who services your federal loan(s), please log on to the Federal Student Aid website, and choose "Manage Loans". You will need your FSA ID to access the service.

Loan Servicer

Contact Information



FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA)


Granite State – GSMR


Great Lakes Educational Loan Services, Inc.






Navient 1-800-722-1300
Nelnet 1-888-486-4722

OSLA Servicing


For additional information regarding Federal Student Aid Loan Servicers, visit

Please send all Deferment paperwork to the Office of the Registrar:

Phone: (631) 665-8500 ext. 1310

Fax: (631) 969-5936


**Reminder: To apply for In-School Deferment, you may submit your paperwork to SGU at any time; however your completed forms will not be sent to your servicer(s) for processing until after you officially register for classes. Please continue to make all payments due on your loans until you have received confirmation from your servicer that your paperwork has been processed to avoid going into default.