Financial Aid Quicksheet
Below is a "Quicksheet" outlining your financial aid requirements for the upcoming academic year.
You may use this as a quick point of reference when completing your financial aid requirements.
For additional, more detailed information, please visit the Dual Degree Programs page.
August 2019 MD/MPH - Financial Aid Information
Applying for a Sallie Mae Loan
- Go to Sallie Mae and choose "Medical School Loans"
- Select "Apply For This Loan" to begin your Sallie Mae Student Loan application
- Complete the "Basic Information" section and choose your school
- St. George's University, School of Medicine will be listed under the "Outside the US" option
- Complete the "School Information" as follows:
- School: St. George's University, School of Medicine, 02233300
- Degree/Certificate of Study: Doctor of Medicine
- Major: Medical
- Enrollment Status: Full Time
- Grade level: First Year Masters/Doctorate
- Academic Period of Loan: Provide Your Own (August 2019 - July 2020)
- Anticipated graduation/completion: June 2023
- Complete the "Loan Amount" section using the information from your estimated cost of attendance
- This loan will apply to your cost of attendance for the current aid year only
- Any courses taken in subsequent aid years will require new loan applications and will be subject to lender approval at that time
- Follow the instructions to complete the rest of your application and submit
Things to Consider
- Sallie Mae is the only lender available that is providing private education loans to SGU
- Private loans may have variable or fixed interest rates and interest rates as well as overall loan approval will be based on your credit and the criteria of the lender
- Request a copy of your credit report online at www.annualcreditreport.com and reconcile any problems prior to matriculation
- If a student cannot obtain a loan because of a negative credit rating, school funds cannot be awarded to replace the loan
- In many situations a co-signer will be required to obtain the loan
- Sallie Mae has various repayment options:
- Interest Repayment Option: Full interest payment while in school and during grace period
- Fixed Repayment Option: $25 monthly payment while in school or during grace period
- Deferred Repayment Option: No payment is required while in school or during grace period
- There are no prepayment penalties under any of these repayment plans; making payments whenever possible is encouraged to minimize total overall debt
*This loan will apply to your cost of attendance for the current aid year only. Any courses taken in subsequent aid years will require new loan applications and will be subject to lender approval at that time.
**May 2020 term assumes 4% increase for Tuition and Room as of May 2020. All fees subject to change.