SCHOOL OF MEDICINE SELECTIVES
Use the list on the left to navigate current selective offerings for Spring 2019.
Selectives are offered to basic sciences students during the first two years of the four-year medical program. Selectives provide a structured learning experience in diverse clinical and scholarly areas. They give students the opportunity to integrate basic sciences knowledge into clinical areas and may provide a transition into clinical medicine. Selectives are offered by various departments and coordinated through the Office of the Dean of Basic Sciences. There is a cost associated with some of the selectives.
- International selectives are offered in the summer and winter breaks.
- Selectives are offered pass/fail and do not contribute to the cumulative GPA/WMPG.
- It is NOT recommended to sign up for a selective in the first term of your studies because you do not know yet how much time you will have outside of your core studies. (Exception for SOM students are SCSK 506 Integrative Medicine and SCSK 556 One Health, One Medicine, which continue across several terms.)
For more information contact the faculty member responsible for a selective of interest. If you are unable to reach that individual, please contact the Office of the Dean in your school.
HOW TO REGISTER FOR A SELECTIVE
Students should be doing well in regular courses before participating in any elective courses during the school term. (SOM WMPG above 85; SVM GPA above 3.0; SAS GPA above 3.0. Exceptions on a case by case basis for summer selectives. Speak to the Course Director of the selective you are interested in.)
- Pick up the selective registration form from the Registrar in Bourne Center. Registration windows vary with each course (check the details in the selective description).
- Obtain a signature from Selective Director (this indicates the student has talked to the Instructor and has the required WMPG, can meet the time requirements and course objectives, and that there is space for the student).
- Turn in the selective registration form signed by the selective course director at the Registrar's office unless instructed otherwise by the course director.
Are you a selective course director? Have updated content to share? Don't see your selective listed?
Send an email to Joshua Yetman at firstname.lastname@example.org to update your selective listing.